Soul Deep out in audiobook! — Jack West, widower, rancher and former Army Ranger, gets his own love story in this special I-Team novella, which was picked by readers at Grave Tells as the Best Contemporary Romance of 2015. It will be out in audiobook any day now.
Seduction Game is out in paperback, (I-Team #7) — Holly and Nick’s story is out in all formats — ebook, audiobook, and paperback. Look for it in Wal-Mart, the Kroger chain of stores, Barnes & Noble, and your local bookseller.
Dead By Midnight: An I-Team Christmas is out! — The grand finale of the I-Team series finds all the couples you love brought together when terrorists attack holiday festivities at a historica hotel in downtown Denver. It’s bad news for the terrorists. They have no clue what they’ve done when they take Marc Hunter and his friends hostage. Featuring cameos by the men of New York Times bestselling author Kaylea Cross’s Hostage Rescue Team series. Available in ebook and paperback.
- Pamela Clare
- I grew up in Colorado at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, then lived in Denmark and traveled throughout Europe before coming back to Colorado. I have two adult sons, whom I cherish. I started my writing career as a columnist and investigative reporter and eventually became the first woman editor of two different papers. Along the way, my team and I won numerous state and several national awards, including the National Journalism Award for Public Service. In 2011, I was awarded the Keeper of the Flame Lifetime Achievement Award for Journalism. Now I write historical romance and contemporary romantic suspense.
My Blog List
And now the moment has arrived — when you can check your answers and see who won prizes.
I have to say that I had a flashback to my days of grading college papers. I went to graduate school to study classical archaeology and art history. And although I went for two years, I ended up leaving grad school to pursue journalism. But during those two years I graded soooo many exams. I have memories... *shudder*
But this was fun. I was really amazed at how many of you answered what were very tough questions quite accurately. And the detail some of you included was astounding. Then there was J3nn, who caught an error that my editors missed. And there were those of you who found more than one way to answer a question correctly.
I am amazed! One thing I will say for I-Team fans: You are smart women!
Without further ado, here are the answers:
1. What are the names of Kara and Reece’s children? List them in the order in which they were born.
Connor (adopted by Reece) Caitlyn Brendan
2. What weapon did the bad guy in Naked Edge use to force Kat to cooperate?
TASER or stun gun
3. What was Julian’s father’s profession?
4. Who is the managing editor of the Denver Independent?
A lot of people put Tom Trent, but Tom is the editor-in-chief. He’s the boss of all the editors. That’s my day job, incidentally.
5. What did Webb use to neutralize Gabe?
6. Who is Kara McMillian’s “baby daddy”?
7. June 9, 1996: What is this date, and why was it important to remember?
This is the date that Marc and Sophie met at the graduation party and had sex for the first time. It’s also the numbers that make up the combination to Marc’s secret storage locker.
To get this right, both elements needed to be there.
8. What is Julian Darcangelo’s undercover name?
Domenic Conti or Tony Corelli were acceptable answers.
Some of you gave both. Overachievers!
9. Name of the sacred site east of Boulder that plays an important role in Naked Edge.
10. What high-point-value word does Will use to win at Sex Scrabble?
“Pecker” gained him more points, but quim is what locked it for him. So to speak...
11. What does Bilagáanaa mean?
12. What martial art does Julian practice daily to maintain his physical and mental state?
13. What is Marc’s e-mail address?
14. Name Megan’s baby daddy.
Donny Lee Thompson
15. Kat and Gabe were almost killed three times. List them.
1. At Mesa Butte when someone opened fire on them 2. At Gabe’s house when someone stuffed the flue with wet leaves and forced CO2 into the air inside the house 3. Up in the mountains beyond Vail when the bad guy tried to throw them over a cliff.
16. What is Kara’s mother’s name?
17. Who calls Kat and Gabe “busy bunnies”?
Kat’s grandmother, Grandma Alice
18. Where was Tessa born?
19. How old was Holly when she lost her virginity, and where did it happen?
She was 14, and it happened in the bedroom of her best friend’s brother while his parents watched TV downstairs.
20. Give Kat and Gabe’s daughter’s Diné name and its meaning.
Alissa’s Diné name is Shandiin Hozhoni — and it means “Beautiful light that breaks through the clouds.”
21. Name the “secret location” Kara was taken for her protection.
I was thoroughly impressed with the number of you who included the name of the suite and the floor she was one.
22. What did Marc find and remove from Sophie’s bedside table when he visited her apartment in secret? What did he leave in their place?
He found fentanyl-laced heroin (fe-fe), as well as her vibrator. He took both and replaced the heroin with doggie biscuits.
A lot of you remembered the vibrator but forgot the heroin. A few forgot the vibrator.
23. Who is the first person to die in Hard Evidence?
Maria Conchita Ruiz
24. How did Sophie realize Marc Hunter was Hunt?
He called her “Sprite,” and he was the only person who’d ever done that.
25. What does Alice James do to protect her corn crop each year?
She kills a crow, stretches out its wings and hangs it on the fence as a warning to the other crows.
I have actually witnessed this ritual on the rez.
26. What is the name of the puppy that Reece brings home from the pound for Connor?
Jake or Jakey
27. What are Tessa and Julian’s “gang names”?
Blondie and Dark Angel.
A lot of you put Julian’s nickname for Tessa — Golidlocks.
28. A pastor and his wife give Megan shelter. What are their names?
John and Connie Stevens.
A side note: I named these characters after two real people who made a difference to my family. Connie passed away more than a year ago from cancer, and John is in the hospital now in the later stages of battling leukemia. Seeing their names over and over as I read through answers was very touching to me. I did tell them before Connie became ill that they were in this novel. It makes me feel good to know that they will be remembered this way. Any prayers you choose to offer for John are most welcome.
29. What is the Indian name of the ceremony that is interrupted at the beginning of Naked Edge?
I was so happy at the number of you who remembered that!
30. What type of car do Syko and Flaco’s minions drive?
Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Yeah, and some of you gave me the color.
31. Name all of John Cross’s accomplices.
Here’s the answer I was looking for: John Addison, Gary King and Ken Harburg
But some of you added an accomplice I’d forgotten about: Juan Diego Garza. He’s the creep who helped kill John Addison.
Then, J3nny discovered that John Addison was called Joseph Addison in the article that Marc points out to Sophie. Yes, J3nny found an error that I and my editors missed. You’re impressed, I know. I was!
I accepted all versions of these as correct answers. Some of you answered John Addison, some answered Joseph Addison. And then there was J3nny, who referenced page numbers.
32. What drug was used to ensure Megan’s fellow victims overdosed and died?
Fefe or fentanyl-laced heroin.
33. Who was the first person Marc had sex with and how old was he?
He was 15, and she was Ms. Meadows, his English teacher.
I wish it had been me.
34. What type of weapon does Julian carry?
A .357 SIG Sauer.
A sexy weapon for a sexy man.
35. What did Marc earn in Afghanistan?
The Bronze Star
36. What was Tessa’s original last name?
37. Name the halfway house where Megan stayed before going on the run.
38. What does Kat sprinkle on the ground after seeing a coyote?
39. Gabe describes Kat and himself as the 8th and 9th dwarves. What names did he use?
Gimpy and Barfy
40. Name the camp Megan where stayed when she was a little girl.
Pine River Christian Girls Camp
41. What is Kat’s Lakota nickname?
No, I didn’t take off points for misspelling. Kudos to those of you who noted that it means “butterfly.”
42. Which name for a character in the I-Team series is also used for a character in the MacKinnon’s Rangers series?
The answer I was seeking: Connor — both Connor, Kara and Reece’s son and Connor MacKinnon.
However, there were a cheeky few among you who put “William” for Lord William Wentworth and Will from Heaven Can’t Wait.
I accepted both answers.
43. What speech does Tom typically give when he’s grandstanding about the role of journalism in society?
His Watchdogs of Freedom speech.
44. What team did Will play for in college?
The University of Colorado Buffaloes.
Coincidentally my alma mater.
45. Who is Malibu Melanie?
Reece’s little sister whom Kara at first believes is his bimbo date.
All you had to say to get it right was that she was Reece's little sister.
46. Name the two young women who were tricked into overdosing by the bad guys.
Charlotte Martin and Kristina Brody
I was floored by the number of you who got that right.
47. How many confirmed kills did Hunt have as an army sniper?
Yeah, he’s bad. Wait till you read about what he does in Breaking Point. Am I right, Ronlyn?
48. What does Julian give Tessa to help her sleep after she is molested by an intruder while taking a bath?
Two shots of rum in hot water.
49. Where did Julian and Tessa kiss for the first time?
A hospital linen or storage closet.
And one smarty-pants answered, “On the lips.” You know who you are! You made me laugh.
50. Who has sex in the snow?
Kara & Reece AND Kat & Gabe
This is the question most of you got wrong because you listed one couple but not the other. Oooh! Trick question! Congrats to the few of you who answered correctly.
B1. How far was Marc’s record-setting kill shot?
three-quarters of a mile
B2. What is CKD?
Cement Kiln Dust
B3. Complete this quote —
Inmate: “What you in for, baby?”
I-Team heroine: “Castrating some guy because he ________me.”
The missing word is “annoyed.”
B4. What friend of Will’s does Holly make out with in public?
B5. What is our word for what the Diné call Náhookos Biko'?
The North Star
A lot of you put Northern Fire, which is a direct translation, which I accepted. But we call it the North Star. It didn’t change the level anyone was eligible to enter, so not getting this exactly right didn’t keep anyone from competing for a prize.
General prize drawing: Maldivian Book Reviewer gets a signed copy of Breaking Point.
Third Prize: CMD wins a signed copy of Breaking Point and a $10 Amazon gift card.
Second Prize: Jessie Bornes wins a signed copy of Breaking Point and a $15 Amazon gift card.
First Prize: Janet Kirer wins a signed copy of Breaking Point and a $20 Amazon gift card, and a walk-on cameo in the next I-Team novel as a character of my choice.
GRAND PRIZE WINNER: Inkbella wins a signed copy of Breaking Point and a $25 Amazon gift card, a personal phone call from me and the chance to read the next I-Team novel as it is being written as part of my feedback team.
Thanks to everyone who participated. I hope you enjoyed yourselves. You certainly proved you know your stuff when it comes to all things I-Team.
A special thanks to the home team who helped pull these questions together: Michelle, Ronlyn, Stef, Sue Z, and Libby. You know you are my lifeline!
Stay tuned for more I-Team fun as we count down the last 21 days until the release of Breaking Point! Still to come:
Match the Quote to the I-Team Hero
Interviews with I-Team characters
And some very special and exciting news from the real world of journalism.
And, hey, winners, send me your mailing/contact info at: pamelaclare at earthlink dot net. And, Inkbella, that includes your phone number.
I'll definitely keep John in my prayers and thoughts,I think that it is so special that you put two real people that you care about in your book.I know that they must have really enjoyed that!
This was a wonderfully fun quiz Pamela, I so enjoyed it,it was so much fun to participate in! I can't wait for the next trivia contest! When will that be exactly?
And a big congrats to all the winners!!!
Landipan, I'm so glad you had fun being a part of it.
We got a bit off our schedule, so I need to recalculate things.
But this Friday is the end of the I-Team Reading Challenge, so there will be giveaways there.
We'll have a "Match the Quote" contest (Round II of I-Team Trivia).
Then there will be interviews.
On release day, I'm going to have a party on my FB page where I and other authors are giving away prizes.
And then on May 20, there's the "After the Epilogue Spoiler Chat" for people who've already read the book. And I may be giving away a some pretty terrific prizes.
In between, there may be a few surprises. :-)
Hi, Fuzzy Wuzzy! Good to see you!
Stick around, everyone! I ordered an extra case of books so that I could give a lot of copies away.
Hi Scorpio — You did such a fantastic job on this trivia. Congratulations on that. You were in the top five scores. Thanks so much for being a part of it! :-)
Hi, Chele — Thanks for participating! You did a great job on it. I was so impressed!
More prizes to come!
Hi, Alison — Good to see you. Congrats on doing so well in the contest!
Like I said, I-Team women are so smart!
Hey, Ronlyn! THANK YOU for your help, chica. As you know, putting this together was no easy task. It would have been impossible without you and the others. :-)
Oh, and Landipan, thank you for your prayers!
I don't think John or Connie would ever be caught reading one of my books. They are so deeply religious that you don't even say the word "crap" in their home. (A bit of a struggle for my mouth to be that clean...)
But I think it touched them to know I hold them up as being Christians who truly walk their talk as opposed to being hypocrites, like Megan's adoptive parents in UNLAWFUL CONTACT.
It's a rough time for their entire family now, and their oldest daughter is my age and my oldest friend. We've known each other since we were 2. Which is ridiculous.
OMG and here I thought the best part of waking up today was gonna be the folgers in my cup. This blows it out of the cup and all over the table!!! WOW I'm so uber giddy now. deep breaths! like I said before I had great fun doing the quiz. Really look forward to these I-Team interviews too. I'm gonna be walking around today with the biggest grin all day.
oh man that was exciting! Congrats to all the winners :) Lucky! The quiz was hard but fun. You say there's gonna be a "match the quote" part now? Oh boy oh boy :)
When I first read about John and Connie in the story, I was surprised because I have a cousin name John and he married a Connie! (They're both really religious too.) I hope John and his family will stay strong.
Congratulations to the winners! That was so much fun! I'm looking forward to the next contest! My kids were cracking up because I looked like I was taking an exam...LOL. Pamela, I did remember your friends the Stevens. I'm sorry to hear about John. He will be in my prayers. Have a wonderful day!
I just wanted to let you know that Kristin and Jess interviewed me and posted the interview — together with two chances to win BREAKING POINT or the I-Team book of your choice — on their blog.
Check it out!
- ► 2016 (16)
- ► 2015 (24)
- ► 2014 (21)
- ► 2013 (33)
- ► 2012 (50)
- ▼ April (6)
- ► 2010 (93)
- ► 2009 (72)
- ► 2008 (72)
- #IAmTwitchy (1)
- #TeamCharles (1)
- #TeamHugh (1)
- 2013 Charitable Campaign (1)
- 2016 (1)
- AAR poll (4)
- absolute surrender (1)
- After the Epilogue Chat (3)
- Alpine Rescue Team (3)
- American history (1)
- American history/family history (1)
- American Indian culture (1)
- An I-Team Christmas (1)
- An Interview with Alec Kenleigh/Heroes/Sweet Release (1)
- An Interview with the MacKinnon Brothers (1)
- Anna Campbell (3)
- Annual Poll (1)
- ANZAC Day (1)
- ARRA Awards (1)
- Art (1)
- Audible.com (1)
- audiobooks (15)
- AudioGals (2)
- Austin Taylor (4)
- author interviews (1)
- Back blurb (1)
- Barely Breathing (6)
- Bent's Fort (1)
- Birthday (1)
- Blog Hop (1)
- Book pirating (1)
- book release party (1)
- Book signing (1)
- book trailer (4)
- Books I love (1)
- Boxed Set (1)
- Breaking Point (21)
- Breaking Point playlist (1)
- Breast Cancer (3)
- Breasts (1)
- Carnal Gift (5)
- Carnal Gift author cut (1)
- Childbirth (2)
- Christmas novella (4)
- Christmas romance (1)
- Christy Reece (3)
- climbing (3)
- Colonial American romance (2)
- Colorado High Country series (10)
- Colorado mountains (5)
- Colorado weather (1)
- contemporary romance (1)
- contest (2)
- Contest winners (1)
- Contests (3)
- coping (1)
- Coupon (1)
- Cover (5)
- covers (3)
- DA BWAHA (1)
- Daphne du Maurier (1)
- Dead by Midnight: An I-Team Christmas (4)
- Dead Giveaway (2)
- Defiant (19)
- Defiant trading cards (1)
- Discussion topic (1)
- Donna Thorland (1)
- e-novella (3)
- ebook novella (1)
- eBooks (5)
- Elisabeth Naughton (1)
- Ellie Meeks (3)
- Eric & Vic (5)
- Eric Hawke (5)
- Eternal (1)
- excerpt (7)
- Excerpts (1)
- Excerpts/Breaking Point (4)
- Excerpts/DEFIANT (3)
- Excerpts/Naked Edge (6)
- Excerpts/Striking Distance (3)
- Excerpts/Untamed (2)
- Extreme Exposure (2)
- faith (2)
- Falling Hard (2)
- fear (1)
- Fictional sex (4)
- First Strike (6)
- First Strike excerpt (1)
- Flowers (5)
- Foreign editions (2)
- France (2)
- French and Indian War (2)
- Garden (13)
- Giveaway (5)
- God (1)
- Goldilocks Goes to Jail/Unlawful Contact (7)
- Hard Evidence (2)
- HEA (3)
- Heaven Can't Wait (2)
- historical romance (1)
- Holly Bradshaw (8)
- I-Team (42)
- I-Team After Hours (12)
- I-Team Casting Couch (3)
- I-Team Reading Challenge (7)
- I-Team series (4)
- I-Team Shop at Cafe Press (1)
- I-Team Trivia (2)
- illustrated romance (1)
- International Midwife Assistance (3)
- interview with Pamela Clare (1)
- Interviews with the I-Team heroes (3)
- J'ai Lu (1)
- J’ai Lu (1)
- Jack West (4)
- Janet Killeen (3)
- jenn leblanc (1)
- Jesse Morett (1)
- Jesse Moretti (2)
- Joan Wood (1)
- Journalism (1)
- Julian Darcangelo (1)
- Kaleo Griffith (12)
- Kathleen Givens (2)
- Kaylea Cross (1)
- Keeper of the Flame Award (1)
- Kenleigh-Blakewell Family Trilogy (7)
- King Arthur (1)
- Lexi Jewell (4)
- MacKinnon's Rangers (1)
- MacKinnon's Rangers series (38)
- Marc and Julian Make a Beer Run (1)
- Marie Force (3)
- Marriage (1)
- Matt (1)
- Megan's Law (4)
- Naked (1)
- Naked Edge (28)
- Name That Scene (1)
- Navajo (3)
- New Release (2)
- New series (1)
- Nick & Holly (7)
- Nick Andris (7)
- Pamela Clare (1)
- paperback release (1)
- Paris (1)
- Playlists (3)
- Polls (2)
- Pregnancy (4)
- Project: Happiness (8)
- Pulmonary Hypertension (1)
- Pulmonary Hypertension Association (1)
- Q&A (1)
- RangerCon (1)
- RBL Romantica HUGHIE Awards (1)
- Reissues (1)
- release day blitz (1)
- Religion in fiction (1)
- Reviews (4)
- Ride the Fire (7)
- RITA Awards (4)
- Rock*It Reads (1)
- Rocky Mountain Search & Rescue Team (1)
- romance trading cards (1)
- Romantic fiction (2)
- RomCon (6)
- RWA (5)
- Scarlet Springs (2)
- Scarlet Springs series (2)
- Seduction Game (13)
- self-publishing (1)
- Sexcerpt Monday (1)
- Skin Deep (9)
- Skin Deep excerpt (2)
- Slow Burn (5)
- Soul Deep (4)
- spirituality (1)
- Striking Distance (16)
- studio smexy (1)
- Surrender (10)
- Sweet Release (9)
- Tantor Audio (10)
- Tempt the Devil (1)
- The Road to Avalon (1)
- Travel (1)
- Travel Diary/New York/MacKinnon's Rangers (6)
- Twitchy (1)
- UK editions (3)
- UK releases (2)
- Unlawful Contact (4)
- Untamed (7)
- Untamed contest (1)
- Untamed contest/Camp Followers (1)
- Upon A Winter's Night (1)
- Urban homesteading (7)
- USA Today Bestseller list (1)
- USA Today Happy Ever After interviews (1)
- Verdun (1)
- Web site (1)
- wedding (1)
- women in prison (7)
- World War I (1)
- Zach and Natalie (3)
Favorite Writing Quotes
"I am tomorrow, or some future day, what I establish today. I am today what I established yesterday or some previous day."
"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."
"Writers are those for whom writing is more difficult that it is for others."
"When I write, I feel like an armless, legless man with a crayon in his mouth."
"The ability of writers to imagine what is not the self, to familiarize the strange and mystify the familiar is the test of their power."
"No tears in the author, no tears in the reader."
"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
—the character of Chaucer in A Knight's Tale